No Bed For Sebo In Stari Grad But A Gem Of A Find In Jelsa

On Wednesday morning, we upped-sticks and drove the 20km down to the north coastal town of Stari Grad, the historic centre of Hvar Island. It was said to have been founded by The Greeks in 384BC so, yeah, it’s pretty old! As we’d thought, the only campsite there is now defunct and being used as a car park so no chance of staying overnight. Not to worry, we’d seen a few cars parked along the roadside, in amongst some trees beside the town cemetery so we found a nice shady spot, locked-up and went for a meander around the old town. It certainly lived up to our expectations – a beautiful waterfront, some awesome, well-preserved buildings and lots of narrow, winding streets.

After meandering for a while, we spotted an ice cream parlour on the Riva and, tempted by the pictures of the delicacies on offer, we couldn’t resist sitting down and indulging ourselves in a couple of ice-cream lemonades and a huge fruit sundae between us. Harley was a tad disgruntled when he saw it arrive – we normally order cones and he always gets the end bit, filled with ice cream-so this business of it being in a glass with two spoons was just not on as far as he was concerned. His spirits lifted somewhat when we gave him the biscuit that it came with, filled with ice cream!

After a pleasant few hours spent meandering, eating ice cream and doing a bit of shopping, we went back to Sebo and continued on along the coast to Jelsa, where we had a choice of campsites, two of which were open, and we opted for the one nearest the town, Camping Mina. Pretty basic, compared to other sites we’ve used but, it had all we needed and the view from our pitch was spectacular!

Once we’d set-up camp, and with the weather set fair for the next few days, Team Sebo pretty much decided that our two night stay here would be extended to four. Harley was in his element, with a pretty little two year old Retriever bitch “living” next door, every bit as keen as he was to play.

We spent our days lounging in the sun and swimming in the cooling Adriatic waters – yes, even I swam! Hey, gotta get use outta my new beach shoes!


On Friday, we ventured into Jelsa town – very much a holiday resort but still managing to retain it’s old fishing village character (and, judging by the number of small fishing boats in the harbour, it still has some kind of fishing industry) and, with lots of work being done to improve it’s already great waterfront, it seems to have been deemed worthy of investment.

Yesterday evening, we headed back in to treat ourselves to dinner. We thought it might be busy, it being a weekend but, sadly, not. After having a walk around looking for some place to eat amongst fellow diners rather than an empty restaurant (of which there were many!), we finally opted for the only one with diners inside, Artichoke – a wine bar/restaurant which looked pretty cool. The menu prices were pretty high compared to what we’re used to but, nonetheless, we both enjoyed our local dishes and the wine and service were, as always, excellent so we weren’t complaining at the €50 bill.

With an early start in the offing this morning  to drive back down to Sucuraj to catch the 11.15am ferry back over to the mainland, we didn’t linger after dinner. Of course, sensible folk would have gone back to the van and had an early night but, no, we are Roy and Karen and we don’t do “sensible”! We’d started watching The Godfather movies on Netflix the previous night until our daily data usage had run out at a particularly cliff-hanging moment so, with our data now renewed, of course, we just had to watch the rest of Godfather II before going to bed last night ! Needless to say, after having not hit the sack until 2am, it was two pretty disgruntled sleepyheads who dragged themselves out of bed when the alarm went off at 8am! Not a good start to the day.

Thankfully, the heavy rain and thunderstorms that had been predicted for this morning didn’t materialise and we had a pretty uneventful journey down to Sucuraj, arriving with plenty of time to spare before the ferry even got in – just as well, since the queue of cars which formed behind us meant that the ferry was pretty much full to capacity as it pulled-out.